Sunday, January 29, 2023

Job hunting in 2022 for tech be like...

 Hi all!

I've FINALLY gotten around to writing again!!!  Missed you all loads!

A while ago, I started a poll about what topic to cover next and the majority of you chose "job hunting."


Therefore, I'm going to share my experiences finding a job in tech.  

What kind of jobs did you apply for?

In short...
  • Data scientist or analyst 
  • Software developer/engineer/programmer etc.
  • Consultant 
After doing a research project and a temp job in academia related to big data, I realized that I really enjoy data science.  Initially when I first started job hunting, I wasn't too sure what aspect of data science I would be suited for the most.  The coding?  The statistics?  Being able to make pretty presentations?  And so on and so forth.  

That's why I applied for any tech job related to data science or big data projects.

What aspect of data science were you most equipped for job-wise and why do you think that is?

In the end, I feel like I did better when it came to applying for jobs with a heavier emphasis on "eagerness to learn", as well as having good enough presentation and communication skills to talk about myself and my academic or real-life data science projects in a logical manner.  I got a job offer for a broad tech position at a data science company and their main criteria seemed to be just that.  There was another position where I managed to get to the final interview, and that was the kind of people they claimed to have wanted.  Maybe it's because I was applying for entry-level new graduate positions, but I was honestly surprised with how important it was to show that I am eager to improve myself.

Was it important to look for specific job titles when applying?  For example, if I wanted to become a data scientist then should I only look for advertisements specifically titled "data scientist wanted?"

Actually I found that in the world of data science, it was important to have a look at the job description rather than the job title itself.  When I was applying, I specifically looked for job titles labelled data scientist because the term itself was booming online through articles and YouTube videos titled "How to become a data scientst" etc.  Eventually I realized that different companies used that title to recruit people in part because of the hype surrounding the term but in reality wanted something else like programmers for app designs.  Then I started expanding my search for any broad tech position that uses big data in some way shape or form.  It still wasn't a perfect filter for the "ideal" job but the job hunting process became more effective. 

How did you hand in your applications?

For some companies I applied through the company recruitment website or web page, and for others I applied through a recruitment agency.  This agency specifically helps students or graduates from graduate/postgraduate school find a job at a company that wants such people.  After browsing through online reviews, I felt that as someone who has a Master's degree in a STEM field looking a tech position, it would be a good fit for me.  My agent was a lovely person who helped me with every aspect of the application process (writing resumes and preparing for interviews tailored to the company) that I felt supported for the most part.  I ended up taking a job through the agency anyway.

What was the application process like?

Any combination of resume screening, interviews (online or in-person), screening tests, coding tests or take-home projects.  It really depends on the company but in my experience I usually had to hand in my resume, then take a screening test, then have 2 or 3 rounds of 30-minute to 1-hour interviews then wait for the job offer.  It might be best to share what each individual step was like otherwise this is going to be a loooooong post haha.

How many jobs did you apply for before getting a job offer?

About 30.  I managed to get to the interview stage for about 20 of them, then got to the final interview stage for 2 then got 1 job offer.

What was the toughest part of job hunting?

The rejections.  Sometimes it was because I really wanted the job, but for the most part it was because of the accumulating thoughts of "maybe I'll never find a job" and "I put so much effort... sigh..." that built up a lot of stress over time.  Towards the final couple of months, I had trouble sleeping and was gettting tired throughout the day.  Once I burst out crying in the middle of the night randomly.  If there's one thing I took from the negatives, it's TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH.  The basic advice of getting regular exercise, taking care of other aspects of life as well, and taking regular breaks apparently applies to job hunting as well.  As someone who reached this state after 30 job applications, I honestly think those of you that went through hundreds of applications.... are true soldiers in the modern world!!!!

On a lighter note, did you find anything enjoyable about job hunting?

Being able to meet so many people in various businesses, companies, positions and different personalities.  It's such a wide world out there, and it was enlightening to know that there's a lot more that the universe has to offer than what I've been used to.  Even though the rejections were hard, it was also one step closer to learning about what kind of job and environment would be suitable for me and what kind of people I can get along with.  In the end, companies and industries are made up of people.  Try and find the kind of people you can see yourself working with (and hopefully enjoy working with) because it would probably make your job hunting more enjoyable.

Any final words?

The biggest piece of advice I can give, is if possible, try to find someone to job hunt with.  It can be useful for practical reasons like being able to view yourself more objectively (finding strengths or weaknesses), practicing interviewing, and for emotional reasons like being able to share your ups and downs during your job hunting experience.  Might not be nice to hear if you consider yourself to be a loner, but I honestly felt relieved sometimes knowing that I can talk to my agent or my friends and family during this time.

Is there anything else you'd like me to share?  Comment down below!
Also if you want to have a say, I'm usually most active on Twitter.
I hope you come back here for the next post!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LLM Part 2: Encoding

Welcome to Part 2 of building your own large language model! Part 1 was about breaking down your input text into smaller subwords. (tokeniza...