Monday, September 19, 2022

UPDATE: I HAVE RETURNED!!!

 HELLO WORLD!

For those of you who are new here, welcome!  I'm glad that you decided to have a look at my blog 💕 If you've been following my blog, thank you so much for returning!  I've been away for quite a while now (so long for my New Year's Resolution to post every month LMAO) so I decided to give you an update on what I've been up to and what I plan to do with the blog from now on.

In my last post, I talked about getting a PhD offer.  Due to... circumstances (The years 2021 and 2022 have continued to be quite a wild ride 👀) and some considerable thought about my life, I decided to apply for a jobs.

Specifically, I wanted to see if I can start my career as a data scientist in industry.  I've always wanted to start a career in industry but I decided to apply for a PhD because: 1) I wasn't sure if I could get a data scientist job right away after my Master's considering that I have a degree in Clinical Neurology and not Data Science/Computer Science etc. AND 2) I thought that having a PhD would make me more employable.  I eventually received an offer for a PhD, but the course was going to start a lot later than I expected, so I thought, "Why not try apply for data scientist positions and see what happens?"  If I can start my career now, I won't need to go through a PhD.

During the time I've been away from the blog, I've been going through the motions of preparing resumes, attending company events, networking, preparing for interviews etc.  I'm happy to let you know that I accepted a job offer at a company that offers a training program so that new employees can confidently grow their skills needed for the job.  I'm so excited to start my new career!!!  

For the forseeable future of this blog, I'm thinking of sharing my experiences related to 1) applying for jobs; 2) differences between PhD and job applications; 3) challenges and tips for applying for tech positions when not having a tech or heavily quantitative educational background AND MORE!!!  Hopefully focusing on writing story times and articles can help with producing content consistently.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LLM Part 2: Encoding

Welcome to Part 2 of building your own large language model! Part 1 was about breaking down your input text into smaller subwords. (tokeniza...